Summary Series (Audience numbers in parentheses)
Christ Appeals to the “Beginning”
1. In the Beginning, It Was Not So: Christian Divorce? (1-4) 6-16-14
When the Pharisees ask Jesus about divorce, he invites them to reflect on our human creation.
2. Original Solitude: Am I an Animal? (5-7) 6-19-14
At his creation, Adam searches for his identity as a rational person before God.
3. Original Unity: Two Ways to Be Human (8-10) 7-2-14
Adam and Eve develop deeper self-understanding through their communion.
4. Original Nakedness: Adam Sees Eve (11-13) 7-12-14
When Adam and Eve look at each other, they see the whole person.
5. Spousal Meaning: The Body Expresses Love (13-16) 7-18-14
Adam and Eve are gifts for one another.
6. Original Innocence and the Fundamental Roles of Man and Woman
Accepting one another as good for their own sakes, Eve is the gift, Adam receives the gift
7. Adam Knew His Wife: Fathers and Mothers (20-22) 8-2-14
Adam and Eve know each other in the conjugal act, then their child
8. Difficult Questions, Deep Answers (23) 8-13-14
Summary of the first part of Theology of the Body
Christ Appeals to the Human Heart
9. Whoever Looks at a Woman: Jesus Speaks to Your Heart (24-25) 8-21-14
Introduction to the second part, what constitutes adultery in the heart
10. Original Shame: They Realized That They Were Naked (26-28) 9-10-14
After they sinned, Adam and Eve experienced several dimensions of shame
11. Insatiability: “Fallen” Marriage is Unsatisfying (29-31) 3-15-15
Imperfect communion cannot satisfy us; the man “dominates” the woman in lust
12. Spousal Meaning Corrupted: Using and Possessing One Another (32-33) 4-1-15
Concupiscence causes body-spirit separation, possession of the other rather than gift
13. Commandments in Jewish History: Adultery and Polygamy (34-37) 4-8-15
The understanding of the 6th Commandment was inadequate given polygamy’s acceptance
14. Adultery in the Heart: Adultery with My Wife? (38-43) 4-27-15
Lust indicates a wrong view of women in the heart; lust for your wife insults her dignity
15. Is Anything Good in Sexuality? Historic and Current Answers (44-48) 9-16-15
Many believe that sexuality cannot do any good, but we should cultivate positive sexuality
16. Ethics and the Redemption: The Journey to Self-Control (49) 9-24-15
Everyone has a tendency to sin; the journey to chastity goes through loneliness to freedom
17. Glorify God in Your Body: Chastity as Virtue and Gift (50-57) 9-29-15
Develop the ability to resist sexual impulses; have reverence for the body as a temple
18. Sexuality in History: Lust is Bad, Chastity is Difficult (58-59) 10-4-15
Summary of Part II; TOB and Science; Contraception
19. Art and the Human Person: Thoughts for Artists and Viewers of Art
Appendix: Principles for art depicting people, responsibilities for artists and viewers
Christ Appeals to the Resurrection
20. Eternal Virginity: Sexuality in Heaven
Why we won’t be married in heaven, but we will be masculine and feminine
21. Glorious Potential: The Significance of the Resurrected Body
What Christ’s glorified body tells me about my current body; the spiritualized body
1. Finding Your Original Innocence 6-16-14
Our sins and defects point out positive features that we have in a broken form.
2. Were Adam and Eve Real People? 6-20-14
Considering what we know from Science and the Church about the first man and the first sin.
4. Is Shame a Bad Thing? 7-14-14
Various definitions of shame, emphasizing which you should teach your children.
5. Could Three be Naked Together? 7-18-14
If there were more than two people before original sin, would they all be naked?
6. What Will Heaven Be Like? Some Ideas of My Own 11-1-15
We will be physical people in Heaven, worshipping, working and living in community
Discussions were discontinued due to lack of interest – mine, and readers’.